Rolled around sliced onions and then pickled in a slighty stronger brine, this German-style favorite is an excellent contrast to our other herrings. It also pairs perfectly with a nice, cold beer, German or otherwise.
Simply serve with a starch — potato, bread, or crackers — and enjoy! Pair with vodka, aquavit, crisp white wine, or even sake for an unforgettable combination.
Instructions / Storage
Herring has been a popular fish for centuries, primarily because of its long shelf life. Kept refrigerated, pickled herring in plain sauce, mustard and dill, curry, schmatlz, and rollmops will keep for 2 weeks in refrigeration. Pickled herring in cream sauce & Swedish matjes should be consumed within 6 days. Holland herring is more delicate and should be consumed within 3 days of purchase.
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Russ & Daughters ships Monday-Friday of each week
- No deliveries Sunday or Monday
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii will incur an additional $35 charge for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.