Vintage Tote Bag
Now available in LIMITED EDITION colorway: dark blue denim with salmon-colored ink!
The first business in America to have “& Daughters” in its name, Russ & Daughters’ founder, Joel Russ, also called his three business partners — his daughters — the “Queens of Lake Sturgeon.”
This nickname, along with the rest of the bag’s idiosyncratic text, would have been handed over to a local “jobbing” printer. At this time, printing and graphic design were a single activity — wooden type blocks would be mixed-and-matched according to what was on hand. The lockup would then be inked and printed in a platen letterpress.
These paper shopping bags had not been seen since the 1960s until one was recently exhumed by writer, humorist, and beloved Russ & Daughters regular, Calvin Trillin — who generously returned it back to the store 50 years after it was used. The rare artifact from the store’s history now hangs on a wall at Russ & Daughters Cafe. And it was adapted for the paper shopping bags we use at all of our locations again.
This shopping bag is reprinted according to the original wooden type letterpress technique that was employed in the 1940s. Each print is inked by hand and is entirely unique. This sturdy fabric bag is made by Baggu, and printed by hand by Keegan Cooke.
- This package includes 1 Vintage Tote Bag
This product is not eligible for discounts or promotions, unless otherwise noted. Also, it cannot be purchased with promotional gift cards or referral credits.
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Russ & Daughters ships Monday-Friday of each week
- No deliveries Sunday or Monday
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii will incur an additional $35 charge for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.